Tapioca seeds or Sago or Sabudana. As per wikipedia , “ Sago is a starch extracted from tapioca roots to form pearls which may vary in shape”. Sabudana is a rich in vitamins, fiber, calcium, cholesterol and folic acid. I call it a super food during pregnancy.
I recommend it to add in your daily meals. As in India, it is eaten during fasting. It is a wholesome meal and satisfies your hunger. Sabudana is used in a variety of cuisines like sabudana poha, sabudana kheer, sabudana vada and sabudana tikki.
I first saw this dish when I was in school, my friend brought this in the lunch. It looked so yummy. We used to eat only sabudana kheer during fasting along with many yummy delicacies because we were not aware of this recipe but later when we tried this it turned out to be appetizing.
Come let’s try the easiest recipe to make sabudana tikki .
Tips for making sabudana tikki :
- You can use ghee or refined oil or olive oil as per your requirement.
- If making this during fast don’t add onions.
- Use rock salt or sendha namak instead of normal salt during fast.
- Wash sabudana thoroughly under running water to remove all the starch to make it non sticky.
Preparation Time : 2 hours
Cooking Time : 20 min
Total Time : 2 hours 20 min
Course : Snacks
Dish : Indian
Servings : 2
Recipe By : Akanksha
Sabudana – 1 cup
Oil – 2 tsp
Green Chillies – 2
Onion – 1 medium
Salt – 1 tsp
Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
Boiled potatoes – 2
Coriander Leaves – 1/2 cup chopped.
▪ Soak sabudana for 2 hours. ▪ In a bowl, chop green chillies and onion and mix. ▪ Boil 2 medium sized potatoes in a pressure cooker. ▪ Add boiled potatoes, salt, cumin powder, coriander leaves. ▪ Mix firmly without any lumps using a masher. ▪ Now, add sabudana or sago to it and mix again. ▪ Grease your hand with oil. ▪ Take a spoon of mixture in your palm and make small balls of it. ▪ Press the ball slightly to flatten the ball to form a tikki. ▪ Heat oil in a non stick pan. ▪ Place the tikki on the pan and let it roast. ▪ When the tikki is roasted properly and turns red, turn it to cook on the other side. ▪ Serve hot with coriander chutney and tomato ketchup.