Massage is very essential for baby’s growth and development. A new born sleeps for at least 18-20 hours a day. Sleeping on the back is very important to reduce sudden infant death syndrome. However, he can be laid on his stomach for a while when he is awake. Just keep a watch.
Sleeping every time on the back makes the back muscles tired. Massage and exercise makes the bones stronger and also soothes the tired muscles.
Initially, you should massage 2-3 times a day. Massage does not mean to pat the baby’s body with oil. There are certain measures to take care of while giving a massage. It was one of the essential ingredient for a visible growth and development of my premature baby.
Here are the few techniques to ponder on: –
- Be gentle with your hands for giving a massage.
- Excessive pressure can lead to rashes or body pain.
- It is is mainly to relax calm down a baby.
- Use olive oil or ghee to massage your baby. You can use coconut oil in summers.
- Place your baby infront of you lying on his back on a mat.
- Start with the legs. Pour oil in your hand and gently rub it with your hands.
- Hold one of the legs and apply oil. Now, start moving your hands from thighs to foot in an inward spiral motion.
- Repeat for 5 times. Repeat the same with the other leg.
- Take some oil and rub with your hands. Rub the foot gently in upward and downward position.
- Gently massage in between the toes of both the legs.
- Moving on to the stomach, pour some oil on it.
- Gently massage in a circular motion in a clockwise direction with both the hands.
- Pour some oil in the naval.
- Move your hands with slight pressure in a circular motion on the sides of the stomach with your fingers. This is done to release gas problems in babies.
- Forwarding to the chest, massage on the chest in heart shape movement. Creating half heart with one hand and half with the other together.
- Repeat for 5 times. Cover the neck area along with the chest.
- Pour oil in your hand and take the baby’s arm for massaging.
- Now, start moving your hands from shoulder to palm in an inward spiral motion.
- Repeat for 5 times. Repeat the same with the other arm.
- Gently massage in between the fingers of both the hands.
- Now, take the baby in your lap and lay him down on the stomach.
- Pour some oil and massage in downward direction slowly, moving one hand after the other.
- Repeat for 7 times.
- Now, it is time to work on the baby’s face.
- Pour some oil and apply on the face. Use both of your thumbs to massage the forehead in right and left direction.
- Similarly, massage on the eyes in a clockwise direction.
- Massage thoroughly in upward and downward direction in between the eyes.
- Gently rub the nose lifting upwards .
- Massage the cheeks in upward direction. First do it for 5 times with one cheek with both of your hands. Then repeat with the other one.
- Gently press the area below the nose with your thumb to give it a shape.
- Apply oil in a circular motion on the chin.
- Pour some hair oil on head and massage in a circular motion with the tip of your fingers.
P.S. Baby massage is complete. Cover the baby with a towel. Invest 15-20 minutes in massaging the baby. Baby might be asleep afterwards. It is completely natural. You may awake him later on. It is like spending a quality time with your baby. Preferably, mother should be carrying out this activity to create a healthy bond between them. Touching every body part helps in baby’s brain development.