Initial days are difficult for both the mother and the baby. They need to develop a bond, stronger than the initial one. Feeding is one of the ways where a mother gets connected to her child. However, milk production is a natural process, you need to boost up the milk supply to meet the growing hunger of your new born. The mother needs to take a lot of precaution in the beginning as to let the baby adapt the outer world slowly. On the other hand, she should follow a proper diet to boost the milk production.The baby should be fed only with the mother’s milk or the formula milk for the first 6 months to develop immunity. However, you can continue feeding till 1 year. While breastfeeding, it is important to understand what to eat to provide proper nutrition to your little one through the mother’s milk.
Here are some ways to accelerate the milk production :
- Start feeding your baby at the earliest after giving birth.
- Feed your baby every two hours a day. Don’t skip feeding times.
- Feed from both the breasts one after the other.
- Have a proper and a balanced diet .
- Don’t opt for oily and spicy meals initially.
- Drink a lot of fluid say water, milk, juices etc. . It does miracles.
- Food like Fox Nuts(makhana), sago (sabudana), fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds, raw papaya, carrots, bottle gourd increases milk production.
- Protein rich food like dal , dry fruits , egg , meat , dairy products enhances the milk quality.
- Have lots of vegetables , fruits and whole grains.
- The more you add variety and colour to your meals , the more nutritional it becomes.
- Avoid whole grains like black chana, chickpeas ,kidney beans , gram chana daal. etc. at least for first 3 months as it can upset your babies stomach. Start gradually thereby testing the effect on your baby. Take a 3 day test for every new food you introduce.
- The fat in your body gets converted to milk , so the more you feed the more you loose. I remember I used to feel so hungry and thirsty while feeding itself.
- Milk production is directly proportional to the demand.The more we feed , the more it is produced.
- Even if the baby sucks after complete saturation , the brain gets instruction to produce milk.
- Use breast pump to store the milk to feed later on.The breast pump creates the same pressure as done by the baby while feeding. Pump regularly from both the breasts.
- I have used Pigeon manual breast pump, Less Fuss , No Hassle.It not only helped me pump out milk even when the baby is asleep also regular pumping helped in the increase in supply. It is easy to use and clean.