It is very important to know about the food items that a pregnant lady can eat or drink. One has to be very conscious and careful while slipping a bite inside your mouth. Your menu should include protein, carbohydrates, fiber, calcium, iron, iodine, potassium and other minerals along with taste. Lots of items? Don’t worry read the blog ” How to develop healthy eating habits during pregnancy ” Your taste buds are very active during the tenure. Eating healthy has always been important during pregnancy for growth and development of your baby.
Let’s discuss about some of the foodstuffs :-
What to munch during pregnancy
- Fruits :- Start your morning with a banana. It helps fight morning sickness. Include fruits in your diet like apple, pomegranate, banana, watermelon and all other seasonal fruits. Fruits are a rich source of nutrition. Oranges, Lemon, Mausambi, Grapes, Watermelon and Guava are rich sources of Vitamin C. It can satisfy your small hunger and even helps in metabolism. Fruits improve digestion. Well !! I ate at least an apple everyday till delivery. Wow !! What a regularity.
- Vegetables :- Vegetables are rich in fiber, iron, calcium, vitamin and minerals. Add on leafy vegetables like coriander leaves, mint leaves, spinach, lettuce, fenugreek leaves and green vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, lady’s finger, bottle gourd, snake gourd, ivy gourd(tindora), bitter gourd, pointed gourd, pumpkin, capsicum, cucumber in your meals. You should also add on sweet potatoes, raddish, carrot, peas, potato, tomato, brinjal, beetroot, corn, ginger garlic, beetroot, beans and all other vegetables.
- Dairy Products :- Have a glass of warm milk in the morning. Add curd, buttermilk, lassi, ghee, paneer, Chenna to your meals to add on calcium, vitamins, magnesium, and zinc. Curd contains more calcium than any other dairy product. There are lots of choices of recipes from these basic ingredients to try from.
- Legumes :- Rich source of protein, fiber, calcium, iron and vitamins. Include pulses, kidney beans, chickpea, black gram, black eyed pea, peas in your everyday meal routine. There are a variety of dishes you can make using these.
- Grains :- Your meal should consist of wheat, rice, oats, daliya, brown rice, brown bread, semolina, etc. as per your taste. These contain protein and fiber. There are lots of ways to add grains to your meal.
- Dry fruits :- Munch on dry fruits like almonds, cashew nut, pistachio, raisins, walnut, ground nuts, dates, coconut, dates and lotus seeds pop. They are rich in every way. Instead of hopping to unhealthy snacks, crunch dry fruits.
- Meat and eggs :- If you are a non-vegetarian, you can have eggs, chicken, fish etc completely cooked only.These contain high amount of protein and iron.
- Liquids and fluids :- Water is very essential throughout your life. Drink 4-5 litres of water everyday to stay hydrated. Drinking water helps maintaining water level in your womb. It also helps easing constipation and other urinary problems. Well, You can drink various other fluids such as fruit juices, smoothies, dairy items and shakes.there are a vast range of fluids you can intake as per your taste and mood.
What food items you should strictly avoid during pregnancy
There are certain food items that can be consumed in your normal days but are strictly prohibited during pregnancy. You should take care of them to avoid the consequences.
Here goes the list :-
- Avoid tangy and spicy food very often to avoid acidity and heart burn.
- Raw or undercooked meat and eggs are strictly prohibited.
- Avoid eating sprouts. It contains bacteria which is harmful for pregnancy. However, you eat cooked sprouts. Avoid raw milk.
- Junk food have very high calories and less nutrients. So, eating fast food, canned or packaged food is unhealthy.
- Avoid drinking coffee, tea and other carbonated drinks. Say “NO” to alcohol strictly.
- White items like maida, pasta and white bread shall be kept away..
If you get bored of eating a food type which is very common, you may change the cooking method and try out a new dish every time.
Isn’t it simple !!